San Francisco Comic-ConSM presents, in association with San Francisco Comics Fest, SAM, Storytelling Across Media, a one-day symposium for aspiring writers and artists, as well as professionals, interested in the art of storytelling. This event will be held on Saturday, November 5, at the Marriott Marquis Hotel, 780 Mission Street in downtown San Francisco, from 11:00 AM to 6:00 PM. Admission is FREE, but online registration is encouraged. Seating in all symposium events is limited.
SAM is not your traditional comics convention. There is no Exhibit Hall or Autograph Area. SAM is all about storytelling, through a series of talks and workshops about how to tell a story in various media, including comics, gaming, animation, movies, and more. It explores the similarities and differences in telling stories through different media and focuses on the craft of telling a story through creator lectures and workshops. Special guests for this event are writer Rick Remender (Captain America, Black Science, Low) and comics creator/animation artist Stephan Franck (Silver).
SAM’s preliminary slate of programs (subject to change) include:
- Cartooning 101
- Bay Area Comics & Illustration History with Last Gasp
- Cartooning 102
- Diversity and Representation in Storytelling
- Parent and Child Class (Cartoon Art Museum)
- Interactive Design with Telltale Games
- Spotlight on Stephan Franck
- Storytelling For Game Development
- Spotlight on Rick Remender
- Comics and VR Storytelling
- Storytelling in Editorial Cartooning
- Telling Your Story: Online Privacy
A complete list of programs, along with information on how to register online to attend them, will appear on this website approximately 10 days before the event.
The SAM event is the culmination of San Francisco Comics Fest, a celebration of comics culture past, present, and future, with a commitment to its community’s history, influence, and education. Festival events—including workshops, signings, and talks—start Wednesday, November 2 and will be held in locations across the Bay Area.
San Francisco Comic-Con is part of the San Diego Comic Convention family of events. SDCC is a nonprofit educational corporation dedicated to creating awareness of, and appreciation for, comics and related popular artforms, primarily through the presentation of conventions and events that celebrate the historic and ongoing contribution of comics to art and culture.
- WHO: SAM: Storytelling Across Media
- WHAT: A one-day symposium devoted to talks and workshops about storytelling in various forms of media. Part of San Francisco Comics Fest.
- WHEN: Saturday, November 5, 11:00 AM–6:00 PM
- WHERE: Marriott Marquis Hotel, 780 Mission St., San Francisco, CA, 94103
- ADMISSION: Free; online advance registration is encouraged. Seating is limited.